From the Bridge

Sunday, January 15, 2006

The longest undefended frontier

I drove up to Canada for a couple of days this past week. The regulations at the border require that you show identification (though that really didn't seem to bother the 9/11 Gang of Nineteen). I've now taken to carrying my passport and using that for the border crossing and have found it to be a a real time-saver. Take my advice - get and use your passport for trips to Canada.

Heading northbound, the primary concern seemed to be transfering American largess to the people of Canada. "Are you bringing with you any gifts for Canadians?" seemed to be the big concern of the border agent. Can't have something come across without Revenue Canada getting its cut. So much for the image of completely free NAFTA trade. It might apply to GM and other companies, but for individuals, there's still a mindset of tariffs and restrictions, at least on the Canadian side.

At least I'm not getting the questions about bringing weapons north - especially pepper spray. I remember when I got the third degree because the officer couldn't believe that I wasn't trying to smuggle in a pepper spray "weapon".

Then again, the agents might be just responding to the Canadian government's decision not to arm their border agents, even though the agents have made that request. I don't know if the Conservative party has anything about that in their platform - perhaps it will change when the Liberals get kicked out of power in another week.

Coming back, it was even simpler. The agent scanned the passport, asked where I lived, asked what I had been doing in Canada and waved me through the border. No inquiry at all about any purchases or the like. I guess he had been checking out the prices in Vancouver and knew that no American would be buying stuff there if they could help it. Not to mention that there's the federal GST of 7% and a provincial tax of 7% as well.

The business I want is to own a gas station in Blaine, Washington. The difference in gas prices makes it so attractive to tank up there, rather than a couple of miles north. Approximately $2.95 per gallon in Canada vs $2.35 in Blaine. One has to wonder how much "smuggling" of gasoline, in car and truck gas tanks, occurs every day. I know that I'd be visiting "friends" in Blaine often if I lived on the south side of Vancouver. Especially in my SUV.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home