From the Bridge

Monday, January 02, 2006

Thank you RedTails

I'm off to see my elderly mother on Wednesday night. This morning, I checked the Northwest Airlines website and there I was - moved to seat 2B for the return next Sunday. Thank you.

I have to confess that I'm an addict. I've got the Elite Frequent Flyer monkey on my back. I'm glad that I never got hooked by booze, cigarettes or drugs - this FF thing is enough. And unlike other addictions, this one can be contagious. I've already hooked my wife and a couple of friends.

Because I flew over 75,000 miles with NW in 2005, I get to have "platinum" status until March of 2007. I'm first in line for unlimited domestic upgrades to first class and I get a 125% bonus on my FF miles. Now, first class on NW isn't anywhere near the good ol' days when you had linen, crystal, and multi-course meals. But I get a bigger seat, more legroom, priority boarding, and I'm near the front of the plane to get off quickly at my destination. There's always have room for my carry-on and the drinks are on the house. All in all, I'm pretty spoiled. I've been elite status on either NW or Delta since the early 90's, and it's unlikely that I'll give it up without a fight.

The addiction starts early. You fly 25K miles and you're a "silver". This gives you some benefits, and as you start to enjoy them, you want more. Silvers are below golds in the upgrade priority, who are behind platinums. So after a few successes as a silver, you want the better life as a gold. And then you want platinum. And then you want to keep platinum. And you'll go through hoops to do so. But that's a subject for another post.

Don't be envious....put your butts in a seat for the 75K miles and you too can get hooked.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home